With Budget Bytes, we’re sort of coming full circle. This blog was started as a journal of my cooking adventures with a limited budget. It has evolved into a huge recipe development project over the years. Now, because I don’t have access to enough grocery stores, I am resuming my blog as a showcase of the food I make in my kitchen using what I have. This Vegetable Fritter is one of my favourite things that I have made while cooking at home. This simple recipe is a mixture of vegetables from my freezer and fridge. It’s fried with a simple batter and served with a Garlic Herb Sauce made with sour cream. It’s easy, delicious, and a great way for leftover vegetables to be used up.
WHAT VEGETABLES DO I HAVE AN OPTION TO ADD TO THE FRITTERS’ RECIPES?
Other vegetables that are great in these fritters include spinach, broccoli, potatoes, spinach and mushrooms, as well as spinach, spinach, spinach, spinach, spinach, spinach, potatoes, zucchini and eggplant. To ensure that soft vegetables with high water content, such as eggplant, zucchini, or frozen spinach, are not overcooked, it is good to saute them before adding them to the patties.
You can add any vegetables to your cakes. However, you need to shred them with a food processor or a large-holed cheese grater. This will ensure that the cakes are more stable.
These cheesy cakes can be made with grated Parmesan (about 1/4 cup) and shredded cheddar (1/2 cup). You can also change the seasoning. I KEPT IT SIMPLE because I enjoy tasting the vegetables in my vegetable fritters. However, you can experiment with different seasonings such as ranch powder, Cajun seasoning or a basic salt like Lawry’s. Reduce the amount of salt you add to your seasonings if they already contain salt.
HOW TO SERVE VEGETABLE FRITTERS
Vegetable fritters are a wonderful side dish or appetizer to any main. They can be served alongside meatloaf or Glazed Chicken Thighs, Portobello Burgers, or even on their own with a heap of Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes (instead of the dipping sauce).
CAN I BAKE THE FRITTERS?
These will not turn out well when baked. To get the right texture, they must be fried in oil.
WHAT ARE THE LEFTOVERS?
The patties don’t stay crispy at the edges like other fried foods, but I find the leftovers very flavorful and delicious. They’re great as leftovers, provided you don’t expect a crispy cake. They were reheated in the microwave. However, you can heat them in a skillet on medium heat until they are heated.
VEGETABLE FRITTERS – GARLIC HERB DIPPING SAUCE
This easy recipe for vegetable fritters will use your frozen and fresh leftover vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
GARLIC HERB DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sour cream ($0.22)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano ($0.03)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil ($0.03)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 1/2 lb. frozen broccoli florets ($1.30)
- 1 cup frozen corn (0.35)
- 1 carrot ($0.07)
- 3 green onions (0.30)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon salt ($0.05).
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour ($0.08)
- 2 large eggs ($0.47)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil ($0.12)
- To allow the flavours to combine, make the garlic herb dip sauce first. Mix the sour cream and dried oregano. Add the garlic powder, onion powder and salt to a small bowl. The dip should be refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
- Let the corn and broccoli thaw before using the microwave defrost function to heat them. Chop the broccoli finely. Use a large-holed cheese grater to peel and grate carrots. The green onions can be sliced.
- Combine the green onion, broccoli, carrots, and corn in a large bowl. Add the flour, eggs and garlic powder. Season with salt. Mix everything until well combined.
- Over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large, nonstick skillet (cast iron or ceramic). When the oil shimmers and the skillet is hot, add 1/4 cup of the vegetable fritter batter. Once it is in the skillet, press the mixture down until it forms a flat pancake. The cakes should be cooked for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both ends. You can cook 3-4 patties at a stretch in the skillet. Between batches, add another tablespoon of oil. Transfer the cakes to a parchment-lined plate.
- After all, the cakes have been cooked, heat the garlic herb sauce and serve warm.
Use a minimum of 3.5 cups of finely chopped/shredded vegetables if you use other vegetables.
3 Fritters: Calories: 406.27 kcal Carbohydrates 33.77g Protein: 11.55 g Fat 25.53g Sodium 992.73 mg Fiber 5.93 g