Over the years, I must have made at least 100 iterations of this bean-salsa corn combination. And yet, I keep making more. Why? It’s delicious and versatile. I love creating new versions for different lifestyles. The Turkey Taco Skillet recipe is fast, unlike the Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Bowls. It doesn’t contain rice (unlike Southwest Chicken Skillet), but it is just as delicious. You can make this version in about 15-20 minutes. It is easy to stock your freezer, and you can serve it in many different ways.
HOW TO SERVE TURKEY TACOS SKILLET
I love that this recipe can be used in so many ways. This delicious skillet mix can be used as a filling for tacos. Toast some tortillas and add a spoonful of the turkey taco filling. You can also top it with cheese, sour cream, pickled red onion, cilantro, jalapenos, etc.
You can also use it to make taco salads. Fill a bowl with your favourite greens and top it with the ground turkey taco mix. You can also add any toppings that you like.
My favourite? My favourite way to eat it is with tortilla chips.
A bowl can be made with rice and stuffed into a burrito or a tortilla with cheese. Then, you can toast the tortilla in a skillet to make quesadillas. There are many other ways you can use this mix.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE TURKEY?
Yep! You can use this recipe with either ground beef or ground poultry.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE DICED TOMATOES FOR GREEN CHILES
You can also substitute it! (See? This recipe can be used in so many ways. You can use either 1.5 cups of red salsa or canned diced tomatoes with chiles if you don’t have Rotel or canned tomatoes with green chillies. Can of diced green chillies.
HOW TO FREEZE TURKEY TACOS SKILLET
The turkey taco skillet mix should be chilled in the refrigerator for at least one night. Once the mixture has cooled, transfer it to quart-sized freezer baggies (I recommend doing this in portions of 1-2 servings), label the bag and date it, then freeze the bag for three months. You can either freeze the mixture and thaw it in the fridge overnight or remove the bag from the freezer. Once the mixture has melted, heat the skillet on low heat with a lid. Stir occasionally until the mixture is incorporated. You can also pop it in the microwave to use the heat and defrost functions. 🙂
TURKEY TACO SKILLET
This versatile and easy Turkey Taco Skillet is quick and easy to prepare, freezes well, and can be served in many different ways.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder ($0.30)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ($0.10)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (0.10)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano ($0.03)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil ($0.08)
- 1 lb. Ground turkey ($3.99)
- 1 yellow onion (0.32)
- 1 10oz. 1 10oz.
- 1 15oz. 1 15oz.
- 1 cup frozen corn (0.35)
- 1/2 bunch of green onions (0.45)
- Mix the ingredients for homemade taco seasoning and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and turkey. Start to cook the turkey on medium heat. Break it up as it cooks.
- While the turkey cooks, chop the onion. Continue to stir the onions in the skillet while the turkey is cooking. Stir in the taco seasoning and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the black beans to the skillet, diced tomatoes, and frozen corn. Mix all ingredients in a skillet. Heat on medium heat.
- The green onions can be sliced while the mixture heats. Just before serving, stir the green onions in the skillet.
If you don’t have a spice cabinet, you can buy taco seasoning at a store.
1.5 cups Calories: 426.45 Kcal Carbohydrates are 34.08 G Protein: 26.8 G Fat: 21.3g Sodium is 1036.55 Mg Fiber: 9.7g