I was able to pick up a lot of fresh broccoli last week. I wanted to share the super easy salad I made with it and some variations that might be possible with other ingredients that you may have. Broccoli Cheddar chicken salad can be eaten in many ways. Scroll down to the “How to Serve” section to see my version! This was seriously delicious! I ate it all in record time and wanted more.
What kind of “Cooked Chicken” should I use?
You can use any chicken breast in this recipe, including rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken breast. You can use raw chicken breasts if you have them. Season the chicken with salt, and then cook it in a skillet with some oil until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and cooked through. The internal temperature should be 165oF. Before chopping the chicken and adding it to the salad, let it cool.
DO FROZEN BROCCOLI WORK?
This recipe is best made with fresh broccoli. This salad will not work well with frozen broccoli florets. They are too soft and wet.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO THIS SALAD
This salad was simple as I am working with what I have, but you could add any of these ingredients to this Broccoli Cheddar chicken salad.
HOW TO SERVE BROCCOLI-CHEDDAR CHICKEN SALAD
Here’s the fun part. It was so good that I couldn’t stop eating it straight out of the bowl. But, I also tried a few other ways to enjoy it. It is great rolled in a tortilla or pita to make a wrap sandwich. I especially liked the tomato-flavoured wraps from Aldi. This tangy flavour was the ideal complement to the salad. The next day, I made it into a quesadilla. I stuffed it inside a regular tortilla. Once it was warm, I toasted it in a pan until the cheese melted. This was delicious, and I made another one right after finishing the first. You could also mix it with cooked and cooled pasta to make a delicious pasta salad, as I mentioned above.
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR CHICKEN SALAD
This delicious, chunky Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Salsa is great for a quick lunch idea.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. Fresh broccoli (about 2 cups chopped). ($1.89)
- 1 cup chopped chicken* (1.16)
- 2 oz. 2 oz.
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.25)
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing ($0.49)
- Freshly cracked pepper for taste ($0.05).
- Chop the broccoli finely. The broccoli should be cut into small pieces. Also, chop the chicken into small pieces.
- Combine the chopped broccoli, shredded cheddar, and sliced green onions with ranch dressing in a large bowl. Mix well to coat everything in the dressing. You can add freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- You can serve it as-is, in a tortilla, pita, or on a wrap. Or, you can stuff it into a tortilla and toast it in a skillet until the interior is melted. Refrigerate any leftover salad for 3-4 days.
*You can use any chicken pre-cooked, such as rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken.
Serving: 1 cup Calories – 360.63 kcal Carbohydrates – 13.1 g Protein – 30.4 g Fat – 22.23 g sodium 610.43 mg Fiber – 4.17 g